RABBITS, GUINEA PIGS, CHINCHILLAS, RODENTS
WHAT WE CHECK FOR
• Roundworm ovae
• Tapeworm (ovae and hexacanth embryos)
• Protozoa - Flagellated and ciliated protozoa, coccidia
• Others: Pseudo parasites ie from live prey or insects
*Specific names will be given where possible ie Eimeria stiedae
• Click "order now" and checkout to receive your faecal pack within 7 days
• Fill out form and collect sample
• Post sample - Postage and envelope provided
• Results sent via e-mail in PDF format within 7 working days of sample receipt
Small Mammal Parasite Test (SM-PT) Objective Pinworm and coccidia numbers, and parasite identification. Min 2 grams faeces needed. Includes: • Direct Wet Mounts • McMasters Flotation • Worm and Coccidia Count
£15.50 p&p included
The tests performed are direct wet mount, flotation techniques and a modified McMaster pinworm count when applicable. Extra tests may be performed (ie sedimentation test and staining) for data collection, in which case these shall also be reported.
Centrifugal flotation using sodium nitrate and/or zinc sulphate is our preferred method. The Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC) recommends centrifugal flotation as the preferred method for routine screening of faecal samples for detection of parasite ova.
At present we are performing studies regarding parasites in the captive environment and therefore the results could be used for publication purposes. The samples and information received shall be form part of our database and will be anonymous.
We are unable to discuss treatment regimes as per the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) rules as the animals are not under our care. Footnotes shall be given and you should contact your veterinary surgeon regarding treatment. We also offer support for your veterinary surgeon if necessary. Further tests may be recommended in specific cases which may include PCR/ELISA.